Our Environmental Commitment
The Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort Hotel and Spa has made a decision to be more conscious about our mark on the environment. We believe that if everyone participates in making small changes to their daily practices, we can minimize the negative impacts and maximize the benefits to our ecosystem and continue to enjoy our Victoria paradise.
We are proud to have been awarded Four Green Keys from the Hotel Association of Canada's environmental performance program. This award is defined as a property that has shown national industry leadership and commitment to protecting the environment through wide ranging policies and practices. The Hotel has mature programs in place that involve management, employees, guests, and the public which have shown substantial and measurable results. We are always researching new methods or technologies to help us continue to reduce our eco-footprint. View the list of items of what we’ve implemented to lower our footprint and learn about ways you can help during your next visit.
What are we doing to help?
- We are 100% smoke – free and don’t require air filters.
- We use low flow shower heads in all guestrooms to conserve water.
- We only replace guest room shampoos and lotions during stayover service if requested or empty.
- We use environmentally friendly cleaning products that are purchased in bulk to reduce packaging.
- We combine orders and thus reduce fuel usage by lessening the transportation needed in multiple deliveries.
- Our common areas feature energy-efficient light bulbs to conserve energy.
- All office printers are programmed to print double-sided
- We now post our Guest News letter on all elevator landings instead of in each guest room to reduce paper consumption.
- We have installed motion sensor lighting in all linen closets and electrical rooms to save energy.
- Our landscaping irrigation is controlled automatically to avoid over-watering.
- Many of our exterior lights are photo cell meaning they only come on when the sun goes down at a specific time.
- We use re-useable newspaper bags.
- We have a linen reuse program to conserve energy and water consumption.
- Unfinished toilet paper rolls are used throughout the staff service areas of the hotel.
- All napkins and toilet paper are made from recycled material and our napkins and hand soap is biodegradable.
- We have a compost program for organic materials.
- We recycle paper, cardboard, glass, plastic and aluminum to reduce the amount of landfill waste. Recycling bins are found in all of our guestrooms, offices, meeting rooms and in public areas of the hotel.
- We recycle photocopier and printer cartridges and use recycled cartridges.
What can you do to help?
- Recycle paper, glass, aluminum and plastic in your room.
- Re-use your towels.
- Turn off your lights and TV when leaving the room.
- Turn off the heating when leaving the room.
How can meeting and event organizers help?
- Rather than printing the conference material, present it in a power point and email it to participants.
- Organize carpooling transportation for conference participants.
- Send an email explaining to the participants what actions are being taken to make the event green.
Collectively, we can make a difference.