The Marche Bonsecours was inaugurated in 1847. A symbol of Montreal's heyday, this imposing building was the city's main agricultural marketplace for over a century. It also housed a concert hall and even served as a city hall. Its symmetrical composition and Greek Revival portico (the cast-iron columns were brought from England), tin-plated dome and simple and varied details make it a perfect illustration of the neo-classical style in favour at the time. Recent renovations have turned it once again into a bustling marketplace that also features sidewalk cafes, shops and exhibitions.
350 rue St-Paul Est
Montréal, Québec H2Y 1H2